Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Armoire painting project

Since I've returned home from the workforce about four months ago, I've spent a hearty percentage of my time painting anything that will remain stationary. My mom picked out this armoire at American Furniture Warehouse, narrowly missing being jabbed by Jake Jabs (another story all together, just kidding, luv ya Jake, don't sue, I don't have any money) sometime in the early 1970's. First purchased with a mirrored dresser and headboard, my mother's once-beloved bedroom set has been separated like wartime triplets during a bombing raid. The headboard is M.I.A. The dresser I think is in my brother's garage and the mirror probably in a crack den in Reno.

The current and hopefully the last home of the armoire (it's a heavy sucker) is in my Mini Me's bedroom. I've moved it three times over the past 8 years always telling myself that this will be the year it gets painted. I bought primer for it about three months ago with the plan that I was going to paint it hot pink! The knowledgeable salesperson at the unnamed handy-dandy store wanted to sell me hot pink primer, plus hot pink paint bringing the cost of this makeover to the grand total of $40. Which was about $30 more than I wanted to spend. So I just bought the primer.

With the impending arrival of holiday guests, I got the wild hair one night to do it, finally do it. Nothing like the pressure of houseguests to make ya get a project done. Well, I didn't end up painting it hot pink, obviously, I used some leftover house paint from Sherwin-Williams called Riverway. Is it Mini Me's favorite? No, but at least it isn't Jake Jabs Brown anymore.

All in all it took me about two hours to paint the armoire, with the help of Mini Me (cat ears optional while removing hardware; note picture). About halfway through Secret Agent Man came up and said, "Aren't you going to prime it first?" Palm-to-head, I forgot the primer!

Oh well, it worked out just fine and I am satisfied with the result.

Moral of the story: Sometimes you can't wait for conditions to be perfect. Conditions might not ever be perfect. So just go for it!

This little armoire is a new addition to Mini Me's room. If you are interested in seeing some earlier furniture painting projects, visit my old blog to see pics of these cute dressers I painted for her a couple years ago.



If you would like some inspiration and advice for doing your own furniture painting, from someone who REALLY knows what she's doing, check out my friend's blog.


Saved By Suzy

7 comments:

Heffalump said...

I think that priming it would have taken away that slightly antiqued look where the old color shows through along the edges here and there. I like the way it turned out!

BIG RICH said...

I'm a fan of this Lane . I would for a presidential candidate that would supply free red paint to anyone that had a shed or barn that needed to be painted.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

It looks GREAT Annie! The color you picked is perfect. My parents have an old set that is very similar that I would love to get my hands on! Thanks for the shout out too. :) I host a link party on Thursdays and I would love for you to link up your projects anytime.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Klin said...

So sophisticated. She can grow with it. It's perfect.

Nancy Face said...

Looks fantastic!

Every project I do takes me about ten times longer than yours take you. Why am I such a slowpoke? Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Great job Annie!!!! Aunt Darlene